Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Firekicker- Tuseday doodle

Focusing on the ventriloquist story Joined Together for this 4 day break.
Start the New Year with a project that represents work I want to do in the style I want to do it.
I will micro niche in 2015.
Firekicker is a doodle. Not related.

Group picture I got roped into taking. The dark haired lady is Charly.
It was her last day.
She got a nice state gov job.
I enjoyed talking to her.
She was Apache-Mexican, lived a lot in New Zealand, big film buff.
A lot better to talk to than yakking with the other goofs about sports.
She gave me a bundle of her daughter's art supplies.
Some good stuff.

3 comments:

Beata said...

For some reason, this brought a huge smile to my face. :D

Happy New Year, Ellis!

MrGoodson2 said...

Thanks Beata. Happy New Year back at you.

In June I'll start the social security payment ball rolling and probably get my first check in October.

2015 big deal to a kid born in 1953

Amazing.

MrGoodson2 said...

Related to micro-niching.

Here's a review onf the Bendis book I did for the Okla Comic Group...

I'm enjoying the Bendis book Words for Pictures. Probably everyone with aspirations to write for comics should read it.

A lot of it is emailed questions to comic professionals that give you the feel of a huge table of articulate panelists responding to the same question.

The questions are interesting. For instance the artist opinion of the worst mistake found in scripts. Hands down it was suggesting that motion and camera moves were possible in a single panel. I remember this... coming up recently in some of our discussion on this page.

Another great point is that the writer really only has an audience of one. His artist. Scripts are not going to find an audience of much more than 6 people. So forget any extra oomph of descriptive prose. It is primarily a semi open ended instruction manual to the artist.

Finished script vs Marvel Style, what's your preference, is also asked. Finished script winning by a few votes. All the artists weigh in on why they feel the way they do.

Is anyone ever going to do a book on writing where they don't start it by warning "Don't plan on making a living."

I'm presently toward the end and just read Michael Avon Oeming's contribution. Obviously great artist, in high demand, and his last note is about why he works as a ,,,security guard! It gives him time to draw.

So obviously drawing can't pay all the bills. At least comic books can't pay those bills.