Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Inhumanity!

PLEASE don't post this on the Tumblr! Hasn't reached it's commissioner yet, and I'd like to surprise him.

Done as a trade with another artist. Wait'll you see what I got in return....
It's too dang busy, but I like Medusa's pose--and who doesn't love Lockjaw? These are faux Kirby poses (obviously!). Executed mostly with a real genuine Windsor Newton Series 7 brush (size #3 and seriously frizzing). Used my black and sepia ink. Combined with the orange pencil it gives a kinda cool old-timey look, don't you think? Y'know... fer when The Inhumans were steampunks?

p.s. I still love the Inhumans.
p.p.s. Look closely at Lockjaw...doesn't he remind you a bit of...Avery Schreiber??
JMG added: Speaking of Kirby claustrophobia. Only he could pull off stuff like this.

9 comments:

JMG said...

BAM!!!! The Ruler of Attilan HAS materialized in the house!Terrigen Mist treatments for EVERYONE!!!

JMG said...

Avery Schreiber, That's funny.

JMG said...

Now I see the orange pencil

Tom Moon said...

Marty, your drawings continue to inspire me. Your productivity continues to amaze me.

MrGoodson2 said...

You could easily be chained to a drawing board for Marvel or DC. So you must not want to be.

This is great stuff. You get The King. Down to cramming a picture almost to the point of claustrophobia. Kirby was a samll screen composer. Getting peoples faces close enough to be kissing when they did dialogue. A lot of people when they prettify Kirby don't get that they need some "ugly" in the compositions before it gives you that Kirby life. Bruce Timm who is a genius at channeling the Kirby mostly does single poses. Never does the big, stepping on each other, Kirby crowd scenes.

Davis Chino said...

Elz, you are kind--but I think you're right to intimate that this piece is a little too crowded!

Tommy, glad to be an inspiration! That's a street that goes both ways, you know...!

Davis Chino said...

...Oh, and on the subject of "productivity" (where, trust me, you are giving me too much credit), the fellow who commissioned the boxing beauties piece of last week receiv'd the drawing, likes it--and has commissioned another! You'll be glad to know it'll be fewer figures--for 2.5x's the price.

#Progress!

MrGoodson2 said...

Great! The commission ball is rolling.
I wasn't intimating that it was too crowded. I meant that Kirby does crowded scenes. That it was indeed Kirby like.

Rickart said...

I always love it when you channel Kirby. I never would have put together Avery Schreiber and Lockjaw... inspired!
So what did you get in the swap?