Saturday, July 05, 2008

Michael Turner, Gone at 37!



























Had you guys heard this? Title is a link to the article. Young man of 37. I remember when he visited our studio in San Diego to show his portfolio to Mike Christian, Ben Herrara, Scott Benefiel, Mike Miller. Because they were all going guns blazing on Malibu comics.


Straight from that meeting in a couple of months he was working for Image (Top Cow) and soon after that it was Witchblade...then Fathom.

What a shocker. When we saw him he was an iron chested body building martial artist. I guess about 1995. Yeesh . Barely 13 years of getting to use those skills.

5 comments:

Mr Goodson said...

I changed the headline to "gone at 37" instead of "Michael Turner Dead". Sorry about that for anyone that saw it and was grossed out by the National Enquirere insensitivity of the headline

Mr Goodson said...

Poor guy. I just read the wikipedia entry for him. He had been fighting this cancer since 2000. He had an awful surgery in the hip/pelvic area.
Yet during that 8 years he turned out great artwork and continued growth as an artist. Go to wikipedia and search Michael Turner to read just how rough he had it.

Scotty Buncake said...

I just found out yesterday. I was shocked. Mike and I have been friends since that time he came to the studio. He was always a good guy and really personable even after he started hitting it big. It really sucked to hear that because I thought he had beaten cancer. Now I won't be able to see him at the Con and catch up like we usually did.

Anonymous said...

Delayed news I guess. Its flooding the wire now. Terrible, just like Ricky J. Taken away too soon.

Tom Moon said...

Definitly a very sad thing, so talented a guy and so young.