Saturday, August 12, 2006

Jimmy Bowles Against The Blues


A page of Jimmy. Just done straight ahead, with no planning, as an entertainment excercise fer myself and the young'ens.

Maybe my real calling is as a babysitter/comic creator. I seem to do my best work that way (Tom Moon, you hit that nail on the head with your comments on "Herman's Hogan").

As with "Herman's Hogan," this was done to impress kindergarteners (my kinda public!), and executed on a piece of printer paper with wobbly inking via my trusty Muji brushpen. Unlike the too-hasty execution on Herman, this one had pencils underneath.

You'll notice that I am still struggling to draw good underwater scenes (it's the opaque tendrils of ocean effluvia that are beyond me right now--y'know, the little "current" most comic artists weave in and around their underwater populations-- I just can't get it right--it always looks like exploded octopus parts with me). But my surface waves are improving. I came up with the name Zubi, and little Harry, my half-brother-in-law, came up with Wendell (!).

Kowabunga.

5 comments:

Mr Goodson said...

Awesome. My favorite part of my Dad's OUTDOOR LIFE huntings mags was the feature. THIS HAPPENED TO ME. It had stuff like a guy fishing, hooking a Manta Ray getting pulled in for a long tow. Coming up on deers that you think are dead, having them gore the hunter (always told in first person). Your strip gives me the same sort of thrill. The oldtimer Sam Glanzman was (Konga of KONA ISLE) the artist on This Happened To Me. He had the same sort of energy you're showing off herer with the brush work. My main comment would be on the middle left panel is to research how to symbolize all that wave action. I bet Caniff has some good ideas on depicting wave symbols without all that line work. Great story. You want to know what happens to those surfers.

Rickart said...

Ellis is on the money... fun to read... it has all the elements of a classic sort of boys adventure story.

I'm looking forward to more!

Mr Goodson said...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/thtm/article/0,19912,648842,00.html

Sam Glanzman. I knew I could find one if I looked hard enough

Davis Chino said...

Ellis, y're too much! Thanks for the Glanzman tip, brah'. And an excellent point about the waves--thanks!

I'm glad you dudes like it!

Tom Moon said...

I can hardly wait until the next installment. You are lucky to have your little half-brothers-in-law as inspiration!