Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Random Surfer

I was looking for something else, found my birth certificate, decided to look up the hospital I was born in.
They are going to turn the place into artist loft studios. The irony.
Probably not irony. A fitting purpose. I'll send them a plaque with my name on it.

Update by Rick:  Out of curiosity (and because I love a mystery), I thought I'd follow up on the story of this property.  I looked it up one Google Maps and found this in Street View mode:
There's no telling how old this picture is (for comparison I had a look at the Street View of my house and it's at least a year old, but I'm betting it's more like 2).  You can see that some progress has been made on the place... the ivy has been cut away and it looks like they've started replacing windows.  It also looks like a pipe in front of the place has been cut down.  My guess is that it's come a lot further in the meantime. 
Also, I found Karl Engel's LinkedIn profile... It doesn't look like he maintains it though... he only has one contact:  http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=203829473&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=dpsC&locale=en_US&srchid=107207071377382328100&srchindex=1&srchtotal=2&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A107207071377382328100%2CVSRPtargetId%3A203829473%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary
It looks like he participated in a recent gallery show, so you might be able to find contact info through the gallery:  http://www.livingarts.org/chandelier-exhibition-illuminated-objects
That's all I got at the moment.

8 comments:

Beata said...

This post makes me SO happy!
Can I please re-post it on the FB TAG page, Ellis?

[I think it was backwards of the Collins family to use the downstairs as their residence, while those poor ambulance drivers had to push the gurneys up that long ramp to the 2nd floor; but for Engel's vision of the building's future, the ramp is kind of cool.]

It would be wonderfully fitting for some of your work to be included in the gallery's inaugural exhibit, Ellis. Have you contacted Engel yet? Talk to him! He sounds like the kind of guy who'd appreciate having someone like you involved in the whole project ... someone with a tie to the building's history ... who could teach art classes upstairs, or perhaps manage the studios for him. Heck, since you're still able-bodied, maybe even help with the renovation itself.

I have a very strong feeling in my bones about this whole thing, Ellis. You should listen to my bones!

MrGoodson2 said...

Beata. Glad you like that story so much. Those pictures open very high rez when you click them Great details of the space.

I was going to contact him. Just to find out if it happened the way he wanted. The story is 2011 I believe. He should be done. I couldn't find newer stories. Ribbon cuttings for instance.

He mentioned makeing the basement into a theatre. It would be interesting if he pulled that off.

Please, go ahead and re-post.

MrGoodson2 said...

Heck Beata. I can't find a good number. The one number I've found is disconnected. I'll have to think of another angle. Maybe contact one of the article writers.

MrGoodson2 said...

Cool Rick. Glad you did all that detective work. You're like... was it Ellery Queen that never left his office to solve crime. Someone had a helpmate named Archie Goodwin that did all his legwork.

MrGoodson2 said...

At least that Chandelier show is recent. So he's probably still in Claremore, cranking out furniture/art.

MrGoodson2 said...

Famous name[edit source | editbeta]

Archie Goodwin's first prose story was published by Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine which warned him he could not use Archie Goodwin as a pen name because it was a Rex Stout character in the Nero Wolfe books. According to Goodwin's wife, the magazine "then were so delighted when he wrote back to say that it was his real name that they used the ancedote as the introduction to the story, which ran in the July 1962 issue."[10]

Rickart said...

Archie Goodwin was one of the first pros I met at my first SD comic con. I had some super hero samples that he told me was crap (my words, not his) but there was a cartoon in my portfolio that he thought was worthwhile. I'm pretty glad he was straight with me, although I was crestfallen at the time.

MrGoodson2 said...

Or art strengths come out of us almost in a genetic way. At least the genetics of a kid's brains that did all the formative hard wiring of early visual pleasure. We're foolish to try and ignore that and shape ourselves too unnaturally.