Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Time to finish the fight...




Meant to post this yesterday, but the TAG deadline came and went and I failed. A few days ago, I dusted off an old project I started back in 2011 where the goal was to build a reasonably-accurate version of the Master Chief character (based on his Halo 3 armor design). Started this almost two years ago and then abandoned it. Now I'm determined to finish it for the portfolio, so here's the result of a few days' work.

There is still a ton of little details I have to add to both the armored shells and the undersuit. Biggest challenge is getting good source shots to work off of. I'm using a ton of reference shots (from the game, from toys and models) off the web, from some books I have, but it isn't always easy to extrapolate what a particular piece looks like or is supposed to do. And there are subtle differences in the design from game to toy, to life-sized statues, etc. And then when Halo 4 came out, the design went through a pretty radical redesign (which I like, but I thought I'd focus on the 'classic' look of the character).

Apparently you never get to see what Master Chief actually looks like under the helmet, so I'm just taking a guess. I think, so far, my take on him looks like a weird cross between Patrick Stewart and Bruce Campbell.

6 comments:

MrGoodson2 said...

Very nice piece. I like the head detail. Egghead and smooth isn't a tough look though. You might push some angularity. Deform his head with a swoop on the top like Hank in Breaking Bad maybe.

MrGoodson2 said...

He's already got some angularity. Ignore me.

Surly Bird said...

For sure, Ellis. He needs to be craggy and tough like Clint Eastwood. I found a reference image of the Chief from Halo 2 and the artist who worked on it (Eric Arroyo) actually put a face that was slightly visible under the hood. The idea was to make the face only visible during cinematics, but in the end, they just made the visor completely opaque. I kind of like that. Gives him an air of mystery.

Rickart said...

He looks great! I think his forehead looks a little tall and you might want to look up some reference for his brow, but otherwise this is a solid model!

Davis Chino said...

Ronnie J. Surls, this is looking great. I agree with the fellas that the head is where you want to spend any revision energy. If this is portfolio, then the body is really only in there to show competence--the head is where you are going to have a chance to impress--or disappoint.

I agree the head type doesn't seem to jive with the Master Chief character (like I really know!), but as much as that, it's the little design-y/knowledge-y bits that will turn-on (or turn-off) a knowledgeable portfolio reviewer.

I like how you've hacked a strong shape into the side plane for the undercheek, and the little secondary mass behind that (almost looks like a tension line from edge of chin back up toward zygomatic)...for my taste, I'd like to see a little more understanding of the eye/eye socket and the brow ridge. (fer instance, the point where the upper and lower lids meet on the inside of yr eye [TEARDUCT] is always lower than the corresponding point on the outside of yr eye [with old people this rule looks wrong, but that is bcuz the upper eyelid flesh often sags so far over the lower lid it visually drops the meeting point]. You've got the eyes really drooping to the outside, and that throws the realistic look...also, the skull looks narrow partly 'cuz parietal lobe should always be widest point of skull, but it isn't here).

I say this only cuz I want to see you create the strongest portfolio--and get the best job!

This, plus yr helmet, plus yr cartoon dog and "Surly Bird"--you are getting quite a portfolio together here! Bravo!

Surly Bird said...

Thanks for the constructive crits, Marty. All good stuff. I'll update this with some updates to the armor later on today. Haven't even touched the head, yet, but I will soon.