Saturday, November 29, 2014

Apologies for being a politically marginalized retard

I didn't have to feel baited by being classified aggressive.

I didn't have to go on a long winded,  multi-thread blah blah about global warming.

I will never again use the TAG blog to talk politics.

Period.
I'm taking the Blue pill. That's the right color isn't it?

Duotone effects painted in with alpha mask channels


One vertical. One horizontal. 3 pixel thickness line. I need to make a 2 and 1 pixel line.
Really like the effect from brushing the "duotone" in with a chalk brush.
Kinda self explanatory, right? You can see what I did.
I built 1 and 2 pixel lines. I could cause some moire by blending different weights together.
So I won't do that.
Pretty happy with the experiment. This will be the ventriloquist story tones.
Update. No fake duotone for a couple of reasons.
Moire gets too ugly and the translattion from psd to jpg isn't reliably registered for the art. Making it moire - more ugly and uncontrolled.
Might still do the idea of prepared textures I paint into it with the alpha channel That's a basic game art idea.

8 comments:

Tom Moon said...

That is a strange cartoon Ellis. Corben I presume. Where is it from?

Tom Moon said...

I don't know what the story is about, but I wake up feeling the way that guy does sometimes. So it's some kind of metaphor for life I guess.

Looking at Corben comic art is always a good reminder that it pays to be different and be true to your own vision when you start drawing. He's so raw. It's refreshing. He stands up against the George Perezes and Neal Adamses, who are excellent draughtsman of course, but in the end, kind of conventional.

And that's really the great thing about art isn't it? You can just express yourself any way you want without having to justify it logically, commercially or socially. It is what it is.

MrGoodson2 said...

That is HOW HOWIE MADE IT IN THE REAL WORLD.

Yep. Corben with the duotone.. Doing it for art sake. But getting seen. People did beat a path to his door. Why artists if they are ready, just need to get the work out there. Build it. they will come.

Tom Moon said...

I don't like that moire effect you get either. Why don't you hand-create some tones, stippled, hatched and cross-hatched, scan them and use them over and over?

Rickart said...

Oh, that's a good idea, Tom!

MrGoodson2 said...

I have som many of those old game textures libraries, I don't have to do a lot of looking for texture. I think I'll stay simple, solid tone. I made add noise here and there.

The technique used by Tim Jessell is to have noise on a layer set to SCREEN.

Davis Chino said...

Great stuff. Esp'ly like the pose of the Indian (?) striding fwd--a really subtle pose that's really impossible to do unless y're Ellis.

You guys already know this, but the problem with BenDay Dots and the rest is the bitmap resolution problem. I struggled with this A LOT and only got it to work on that Black Flag work if I kept the DPI at 600 or above--900 is better.

I think a proper BenDay pass should really be done in vector...which I haven't a clue how to do.

MrGoodson2 said...

I have art that is 150 dpi. That won't work obviously. Thanks for the follow on point Marty. Seems like a fun idea in the right- high rez- power mac environment.