Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Forrest J Ackerman is slipping away...


Sad news from the world of Monster and Horror fandom. The King of all monster fans and the face and pulse of Famous Monster of Filmland magazine is knocking at the door of the great beyond, Forrest J. Ackerman is by all reports slipping away from us at 92. Henry and I had had the opportunity to visit the Great Ackermansion and have lunch with Forry himself one weekend back in the early 90's. It was something I thought I'd never do. As a big old movie monster kid of the 60's I owe it all to Forry and that first FM#55 I ever got. Great times. Better days.

4 comments:

Mr Goodson said...

Forry Ackerman is my biggest influence. Putting a Ymir holding a lightpole on the cover of Famous Monsters scored some sort of never healed stamp in my brain. I talk about Forry on my youtube page, commenting on a clip I posted from The Sci Fi boys. Like I said in those comments, God bless Forry Ackerman

Rickart said...

Yes, I too had a copy of one of his monster mags that I kept for years and years. Just knowing that there was an adult out there who was also interested in all this weird stuff was heartening. Sort of the Father of Fandom, you might say.

Kali Fontecchio said...

Noooooooooo- where will his giant museum home go?

Anonymous said...

Kali, The Ackermansion off of Los Feliz was sold a few years back to pay legal and medical bills. Lots of the collection was sold off to other collectors around the world.
He moved into a smaller place after that and called it "The Son of Ackermansion". Most of the existing collection consists of paper goods like his books and photos. Most if not all the movie props are gone.